Peter, who died at the end of March aged 91, was one of the founder members of the Dulwich Society in 1963. Chairman for a short time in late 1969, he was an active member of the Society’s team which negotiated the Scheme of Management with the Dulwich Estate in the early 1970s. A Society vice president for over 25 years, only resigning last year, he lived in a house in Village Way which he designed and built in the late 1950s.
As a boy he lived in Dunstans Road in East Dulwich. He won a scholarship to Alleyn’s School in 1936 but decided to go to the Henry Thornton School in Clapham instead - supposedly because he wanted to commute by tram. The school was relocated to Chichester during the war and he joined the army in 1944, serving in India until 1947.
Deciding to become an architect, he studied part time at the Regent Street Polytechnic while working for Farmer and Dark. He then joined the office of Michael Rosenaur, an American architect, who had won the job to build the Time Life building in Bond Street. Now listed Grade II, the building was one of the first office buildings built after WW2 and is best known for its sculptures by Henry Moore. From 1952, he was senior architect in charge of projects in the London office of Australian architect, W Wylton Todd. A period in the Distillers Company Architects’ department was followed by a stint with Leeds architect J G L Poulson - between 1967-1970 he was in charge of the practice’s London projects including Cannon Street Station and Elizabeth House in front of Waterloo station. From 1970 he was in private practice, initially with two other partners, Lack Burdett Lawson, and then on his own. The firm did many British Telecom projects but Peter’s main interest was building conservation.
He was active in the Royal Institute of British Architects, sitting on their cladding standards committee, and was their representative on the Southwark Conservation Area Advisory committee for over 40 years, from the late 1960s - he was still attending meetings at Tooley Street only a few months ago. He was also an active committee member of the Thorney Island Society in Westminster.
A friendly and approachable man, with his dark coat and black fedora he looked like you would expect an architect to look.