The Society held a public meeting at the Streatham & Marlborough Cricket Club pavilion on Saturday 4 November. 40 people attended.
Three more local war memorials have been listed Grade II by Historic England. They are at the East Dulwich Community Hospital, St Stephens on College Road and St Peters on Lordship Lane. The hospital memorial was reconstructed about ten years ago at the behest of the Dulwich Society and funded by the War Memorials Trust.
The traffic delays continue with a serious impact on the footfall in Village shops – some takings are down 50%. Access to/from Court Lane will shorly be closed off for around a month. http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgissueHistoryHome.aspx?IId=50014361
Following the refusal of Southwark council to allow the football club to renew its lease on its ground on Greendale, the developer Meadow Residential withdrew its appeal against the Council’s refusal to allow a housing development on the site of the club’s current football ground. The Society is one of several local amenity groups which were against the plans.
Many will be aware of the work of the Herne Hill Forum. Now there is an emerging neighbourhood forum in Dulwich. The group held an initial meeting in October and is setting up a working group to take it forward. Further information about the meeting is on their web site: https://dulwichvillageforum.org.uk/2017/10/13/neighbourhood-forum-what-we-discussed-at-the-first-meeting/ If you would like to be involved in the working group, please use the contact form on the web site https://dulwichvillageforum.org.uk/contact/Anyone who lives and works in the Dulwich Village area is very welcome.
The covering letter which came with the recent Scheme of Management bills gave the bad news that McColls, the newsagent, is closing. This is a further loss to the vitality of the Village – residents have trouble buying milk and now they won’t even be able to buy a newspaper – the Society is looking to the Estate to quickly remedy this unfortunate situation. On the positive side, McColls have said that they are aiming to continue its local delivery service and are looking for a new unit nearby.
The letter also said that Sainsburys decided not to come to Dulwich after objections by a small minority of local residents to the colour of their signage. While this is partly true, Sainsburys other concern was that the Estate were trying to let the former S G Smith unit to another convenience store operator at the same time.
Following local residents’ concerns over the potential dangers of the ongoing trial excavations, the developer has now installed security fencing around the site. At the consultation committee meeting on 16 June it confirmed that the earliest date that work would start on site was likely to be February 2018.
The advert for John Major’s replacement was in the Guardian and the Financial Times on 20 September. The closing date for applications is 11 October.
The sergeant in charge of the three Dulwich wards, Iain Bartlay, is leaving us and we have yet to hear who his replacement is. He has done an excellent job but, over the last three years, Dulwich has gone from 3 to 1 sergeants locally - and Southwark as a whole has gone from 21 to 10. There has also been a recurrence of the car scratching that took place in Burbage Road three years ago - in Stradellaa Road & Gilkes Crescent. There have also been reports of credit card scams locally - a resident had £1000 taken from a building society account - apparently an extra card had been applied for in their name, it was sent to their address but was never received – it seems that it had been intercepted either at the post office or on the delivery round. There have also been two reports of HMRC refund cheques being stolen.
We have 74 guests and no members online